#2546 Implementing Log

SlimerDude Tue 28 Jun 2016

Hi, I wanted to switch out a logger instance for my own, so I implemented sys::Log and overrode the virtual log method. It all worked fine except that I couldn't receive any debug messages.

It seems a log level is only set from log.props if the Log is registered, meaning non-registered log instances can only ever be at info level.

Assuming this is an oversight, moving the log level setting out of the if statement seems to be the way forward.

diff -r dcdb455f1605 src/sys/java/fan/sys/Log.java
--- a/src/sys/java/fan/sys/Log.java	Tue Jan 05 20:12:01 2016 -0500
+++ b/src/sys/java/fan/sys/Log.java	Tue Jun 28 17:45:18 2016 +0100
@@ -75,12 +75,12 @@

// init and put into map
         byName.put(name, self);
-
-        // check for initial level
-        String val = (String)Sys.sysPod.props(Uri.fromStr("log.props"), Duration.oneMin).get(name);
-        if (val != null) self.level = LogLevel.fromStr(val);
       }
     }
+
+    // check for initial level
+    String val = (String)Sys.sysPod.props(Uri.fromStr("log.props"), Duration.oneMin).get(name);
+    if (val != null) self.level = LogLevel.fromStr(val);
   }

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This allows all log instances to have their log level set as per log.props.

Fandoc tweak

As an aside, it'd be helpful if Log.log() could have the following (or something similar) added to the docs as it's not currently clear.

This is method is only called from the convenience methods if logging is enabled for the given LogRec level.

brian Mon 11 Jul 2016

Actually I'm not sure that is right. When you create unregistered logs they are assumed to be managed outside of the normal framework. So that is a fairly expensive hit to take especially for ephemeral logs which are getting created just once. They way we do logging in SkySpark for example uses a much more sophisticated system based on tagging and just setting log levels strictly by name would actually break stuff

SlimerDude Mon 11 Jul 2016

Sure, I can query log.props myself - and I've just noticed that Log, despite being const still lets you set Log.level. So that gets over my issue of not being able to create debug level logs.

Login or Signup to reply.